In terms of research output the School of Science and Technology currently comprises two elected faculty members, four academic associates, an academic coordinator and the Dean of the School.
The School's areas of expertise thus lie in areas relevant to our graduate programmes: Information and Communication Technologies (wireless & sensor networks, smart grids, energy efficient networking & Green ICT, optimization and control theory artificial intelligence, ontologies & semantic Web, data mining, sentiment analysis); Energy Technologies (solar thermal systems, renewable energy sources, life cycle analysis, energy policy & management, computational fluid dynamics); and energy Economics & finance, macroeconomics and behavioral finance.
The School expects to grow even further in the coming years with the placement of even more permanent teaching and research faculty as well as with the introduction of PhD students from mid-2014 onwards.
- Tsalikis G., Martinopoulos G., «Solar energy systems potential for nearly net zero energy residential buildings», Solar Energy, Volume 115, p. 743-756, 2015
- Kontopoulos, E., Martinopoulos, G., Lazarou, D., Bassiliades, N., «An ontology-based decision support tool for optimizing domestic solar hot water system selection», (2015) Journal of Cleaner Production. Article in Press.
- Dergiades, T., C. Milas and T. Panagiotidis (2015). Tweets, Google Trends and Sovereign Spreads in the GIIPS. Oxford Economic Papers, forthcoming.
- Silvester L., Antzara A., Boskovic G., Heracleous E., Lemonidou A.A., Bukur D.B.,(2015) “NiO supported on Al2O3 and ZrO2 oxygen carriers for chemical looping steam methane reforming”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy (forthcoming)
- Liakakou E.T., Heracleous E., Triantafyllidis K.S., Lemonidou A.A. (2015) “K-promoted NiMo catalysts supported on activated carbon for the hydrogenation reaction of CO to higher alcohols: Effect of support and active metal”, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental p.165-296
- Skoufa Z., Heracleous E., Lemonidou A.A. (2015) “On ethane ODH mechanism and nature of active sites over NiO-based catalysts via isotopic labelling and methanol sorption studies”, Journal of Catalysis 322, p.118–129
- Antzara A., Heracleous E., Bukur D.B., Lemonidou A.A. (2015) “Thermodynamic analysis of hydrogen production via chemical looping steam methane reforming coupled with in situ CO2 capture”, International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 32, p. 115-120.
- Papakostas K., Martinopoulos G., Tsimpoukis A. (2014) “Estimating Heating and Cooling Degree Days through an Urban Environment Using Publicly Available Sensors”, Applied Mechanics and Materials, 659, pp. 411-416.
- Missirlis D., Martinopoulos G., Tsilingiridis G., Yakinthos K. and Kyriakis N. (2014) “Investigation of the heat transfer behaviour of a polymer solar collector for different manifold configurations”, Renewable Energy, 68, p. 715-723.
- Martinopoulos G. and Tsalikis G. (2014) “Active Solar Heating Systems for Energy Efficient Buildings in Greece: A Technical Economic and Environmental Evaluation”, Energy and Buildings, Vol. 68, Part A, p. 130-137.
- Antzara A., Heracleous E., Lemonidou A.A., (2014) “Development of CaO-based Mixed Oxides as Stable Sorbents for Post-Combustion CO2 capture via Carbonate Looping”, Energy Procedia 63, p. 2160 – 2169
- Antzara A., Heracleous E., Bukur D.B., Lemonidou A.A.(2014) “Thermodynamic analysis of hydrogen production via chemical looping steam methane reforming coupled with in situ CO2 capture”, Energy Procedia 63, p.6576 – 6589.
- Alexiadis D.S. and N. Mitianoudis (2013). MASTERS: A virtual lab on Multimedia Systems for Telecommunications, Medical and Remote Sensing applications. IEEE Transactions on Education, 56 (2), 227 - 234.
- Chiaraviglio L., R. Bruschi, A. Cianfrani, O.M. Jaramillo-Ortiz and G. Koutitas (2013). The TREND Meter: Monitoring the energy consumption of networked devices. International Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking. forthcoming.
- Dergiades T., G. Martinopoulos, L.Tsoulfidis, (2013). Energy consumption and economic growth: Parametric and non-parametric causality testing for the case of Greece. Energy Economics, 36(3), 686–697.
- Kanellakis M., G. Martinopoulos and T. Zachariadis (2013). European Energy Policy–A Review. Energy Policy, Vol. 62, p. 1020-1030
- Dergiades, T. (2012). Do investors’ sentiment dynamics affect stock returns? Evidence from the US economy. Economics Letters, 116(3), 404-407.
- Dergiades, T., R. Madlener and G. Christofidou (2012). The Nexus between Natural Gas Spot and Futures Prices at NYMEX: Do Weather Shocks and Non-Linear Causality in Low Frequencies Matter? FCN Working Papers. 17/2012, E.ON Energy Research Center, Future Energy Consumer Needs and Behavior (FCN).
- Kontopoulos E., C. Berberidis, T. Dergiades and N. Bassiliades (2013). Ontology-based Sentiment Analysis of Twitter Posts. Expert Systems with Applications, 40(10), 4065-4074.
- Koutitas G. and L. Tassiulas, (2013). Periodic Flexible Demand: Optimization and Phase Management in the Smart Grid. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grids, 4(3), pp. 1305-1313.
- Liaskos C., G. Koutitas and I. Vlahavas (2013). A holistic virtual laboratory on wireless communications and sensor networks, IEEE Transactions on Education, forthcoming
- Martinopoulos G., G. Tsilingiridis and N. Kyriakis (2013). Identification of the environmental impact from the use of different materials in domestic solar hot water systems. Applied Energy, 102, 545-555,
- Provataki A. and V. Katos (2013). Differential Malware Forensics, Digital Investigations, forthcoming.
- Stavropoulos, T.G., K. Gottis, D. Vrakas and I. Vlahavas (2013). aWESoME: a Web Service Middleware for Ambient Intelligence. Expert Systems With Applications, 40(11), 4380-4392.
- Koutitas G., A. Karousos, and L. Tassiulas, (2012). Deployment Strategies and Energy Efficiency of Cellular Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 7(11), 2552-2563
- Koutitas G. (2012). Control of Flexible Smart Devices in the Smart Grid, IEEE Transations on Smart Grid. 3(3), 1333-13343.
- Kanellopoulos Y., Antonellis P., Tjortjis C. Makris C. and Tsirakis N., “k-Attractors: A Partitional Clustering Algorithm for Numeric Data analysis”, Applied Artificial Intelligence, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 25, No.2, pp. 97-115, February 2011, ISSN: 0883-9514.
- Stavropoulos, T.G., D. Vrakas and I. Vlahavas (2011). A Survey of Service Composition in Ambient Intelligence Environments, AI Review, 1-24. doi:10.1007/s10462-011-9283-1, pp.1-24.
- Tzanis G., C. Berberidis and I. Vlahavas (2011). StackTIS: A Stacked Generalization Approach for Effective Prediction of Translation Initiation Sites. Computers in Biology and Medicine, Volume 42, Issue 1, January 2012, Pages 61-69
- Vasileiadis S., Z. Ziaka, M. Tsimpa, “MCFC-Electricity Generation from Biogas to Syngas Renewable Process via a Membrane Reactor”, International Transaction Journal of Engineering, Management, & Applied Sciences & Technologies, 2(1), 2011, pp. 129-145.
- Koutitas G. and P. Demestichas (2010). Challenges for energy efficiency in local and regional data centers. Journal Green Engineering, ISSN: 1904-4720.
- Koutitas G. and T. Samaras (2010). Exposure Minimization in Indoor Wireless Networks. IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters. 9,199-202.
- Koutitas G. (2010). Green Network Planning of Single Frequency Networks, IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting. 56(4), 541-550.
- Koutitas G., Multiple Human Effects in Body Area Networks, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 9, pp.938-941, 2010.
- Koutitas G. (2010). Power Aware Indoor Wireless Networks. IEΤ Electronic Letters, 46(6), pp. 462-464.
- Kanellopoulos Y., Antonellis P., Antoniou D., Makris C., Theodoridis E., Tjortjis C., Tsirakis N., “Code Quality Evaluation methodology using the ISO/IEC 9126 Standard”, Int’l Journal of Software Engineering & Applications, AIRCC, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 17-36, July 2010, ISSN 0976-2221.
- Vasileiadis, S. and Z. Ziaka (2010). Small scale reforming separation systems with nanomembrane reactors for direct fuel cell application. Journal of Nano Research, 12(2), 105-113.
- Papakostas K., Martinopoulos G. and Papadopoulos A., A Comparison of Various Heating Systems in Greece Based on Efficiency and Fuel Cost. 17th International Symposium on Thermal Science and Engineering of Serbia, Sokobanja;
- Rossios K., Sardi K., Martinopoulos G.: Numerical Simulation of Lng Evaporation Inside Semi-trailer Trucks Used for the Transportation of Lng to Small Scale Terminals and Refueling Stations: Parameters and Implications. 8th GRACM International Congress on Computational Mechanics, Volos, Greece;
- Anastasiou F. and Martinopoulos G., “Solar Air Conditioning Systems As A Step Towards Nearly Net Zero Energy Buildings”, 10th Conference on Renewable Energy Sources, Thessaloniki, Greece, 2014 (In Greek)
- Befa M., E. Kontopoulos, N. Bassiliades, C. Berberidis and I. Vlahavas, “Deploying a Semantically-Enabled Content Management System in a State University” Proc. International Conference on Electronic Government and the Information Systems Perspective (EGOVIS 2010), Bilbao, Spain, 30 Aug - 3 Sep 2010 LNCS, Vol. 6267, Springer, pp. 257-264, 2010.
- Charaviglio L., D. Ciullio, G. Koutitas, M. Meo and L. Tassiulas, “Energy-Efficient Planning and Management of Cellular Networks” IEEE Wireless on demand Network Systems and Services (WONS) Courchevel, Italy 2012.
- Chen K., Tjortjis C. and Layzell P.J., “A Method for Legacy Systems Maintenance by Mining Data Extracted from Source Code”, Case studies of IEEE 6th European Conf. Software Maintenance and Reengineering (CSMR 2002), IEEE Comp. Soc. Press, pp. 54-60, 2002.
- Dimitriadis E., Missirlis D., Martinopoulos G., “Investigation of the Performance of a Horizontal Axis Wind Turbine with the Use of Blade Element Momentum Theory and CFD Computations”, European Wind Energy Association Conference 2014, Barcelona, March 2014.
- Dogan K., Martinopoulos G., “Blade Element Momentum Theory and CFD modeling as a tool for optimizing wind turbine blade design” World Renewable Energy Congress WREC XIII, London, 2014.
- Hatzopoulos D., I. Koutsopoulos, G. Koutitas and W.V. Heddeghem, “Dynamic Virtual Machine Allocation in Cloud Server Facility Systems with Renewable Energy Sources” IEEE ICC 2013.
- Kokkinogenis S. and G. Koutitas “Dynamic and Static Base Station Management Schemes for Cellular Networks” IEEE GlobeCom, 2012.
- Kokkoras F., K. Ntonas and N. Bassiliades, “DEiXTo: A web data extraction suite” accepted for presentation at 6th Balkan Conference on Informatics (BCI 2013), Thessaloniki, Greece, 19-21 Sep 2013.
- Kontopoulos E., Th. Zetta and N. Bassiliades, “Semantically-Enhanced Authoring of Defeasible Logic Rule Bases in the Semantic Web”, Proc. 2nd International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics (WIMS’ 12), ACM, Craiova, Romania, June 13-15, 2012, pp. 489-492.
- Koutitas G. and L. Tassiulas “A Delay Based Optimization Scheme for Peak Load Reduction in the Smart Grid” ACM/IEEE Int. Conference E- Energy, Madrid, May, 2012.
- Koutitas G., ‘Effects of Lateral Terrain to Asymptotic Diffraction Solutions’, IEEE Proc. European Wireless EW, Apr. 2010.
- Koutitas G. “Low Carbon Network Planning” IEEE Proc. European Wireless, EW, Apr. 2010
- Stavropoulos Th., D. Vrakas, D. Vlachava and N. Bassiliades, “BOnSAI: a Smart Building Ontology for Ambient Intelligence”, Proc. 2nd International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics (WIMS’ 12), ACM, Craiova, Romania, June 13-15, 2012, pp. 263-274.
- Stavropoulos T.G., A. Tsioliaridou, G. Koutitas, D. Vrakas and I. Vlahavas “System Architecture for a Smart University Building” in the proc. of IEM3 workshop in conjunction with ICANN 2010, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Koutitas G., N. Pavlidou and L. Jankovic “A Comparative Study of two Alternative Wildfire Models, with applications to WSN Topology Control” Proc., Int. Conf. on Modeling, Monitoring and Management of Forest Fires, June, 2010.
- Koutitas G. “DVB Network Planning for Energy Efficiency” IEEE Proc. Int. Conf. on Advanced Communication Technologies ICACT, Feb. 2010
- Liaskos C., G. Koutitas and I. Vlahavas “Virtual Laboratories on Wireless Communications: A contemporary, extensible approach” IEEE EDUCON, Marocco, 2012
- Loutas, N., A. Varitimou and V. Peristeras, “Unraveling the mystery of Open Government Data Apps”, W3C workshop on USING OPEN DATA: policy modeling, citizen empowerment, data journalism, June 2012, Brussels.
- Martinopoulos G., “Solar heating systems as a viable solution towards nearly Zero energy buildings”, ASME 2014 8th International Conference on Energy Sustainability, Boston, 2014.
- Martinopoulos G., Tsilingiridis G., “Initial Evaluation of a Heat Plate Solar Collector for Solar Heating and/or Cooling System”, 4th International Conference on Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Efficiency - New Challenges, p. 89-97, 6 -7 June 2013, Nicosia Cyprus.
- Martinopoulos G. “Estimation of Maximum PV Penetration in the Domestic Sector in Greece” 3rd International Scientific Conference on "Energy and Climate Change, 7-8 October 2010, Athens.
- Martinopoulos G. “International Renewable Energy Review – Greece” ISES Solar World Congress 2011, 8 August - 2 September 2011, Kassel, Germany.
- Martinopoulos G. “Life cycle analysis of a polymer black liquid flat plate collector” ISES Solar World Congress 2011, 8 August - 2 September 2011, Kassel, Germany.
- Martinopoulos G., D. Missirlis, G. Tsilingiridis, K. Yakinthos and N. Kyriakis “Investigation of the heat transfer behaviour of a novel polymer solar collector” Third International Conference on Applied Energy - 16-18 May 2011 - Perugia, Italy.
- Martinopoulos G. and G. Tsilingiridis, “Initial Evaluation of a Heat Plate Solar Collector for Solar Heating and/or Cooling System” 4th International Conference on Renewable Energy Sources and Energy Efficiency - New Challenges, pp. 89-97, 6 -7 June 2013, Nicosia Cyprus.
- Mitianoudis N. “A Directional Laplacian Density for Underdetermined Audio Source Separation” 20th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN), Thessaloniki, Greece, September 2010.
- Mitianoudis N., Tzimiropoulos, G. and T. Stathaki “Fast Wavelet-based Pansharpening of Multi-Spectral Images” IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques, Thessaloniki, Greece, July 2010.
- D. Papas and C. Tjortjis, “Combining Clustering and Classification for Software Quality Evaluation”, SETN 2014, LNCS 8445, pp. 273–286, 2014.
- Rigas E., S. Sarvapali, D. Ramchurn, N. Bassiliades and G. Koutitas “Congestion Management for Urban EV Charging Systems”, accepted for presentation at 4th IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications (SmartGridComm 2013), Vancouver, Canada, 21-24 Oct 2013.
- Satsiou A., G. Koutitas and L. Tassiulas, “Reputation based coordination of prosumer communities” in proc. Int. Conf. Internet Science, Brussels, 2013.
- Stavropoulos T.G., D. Vrakas, A. Arvanitidis and I. Vlahavas, “A System for Energy Savings in an Ambient Intelligence Environment” in the proc. of ICT-GLOW 2011, Toulouse, France
- Stavropoulos T.G., D. Vrakas, and I. Vlahavas “Iridescent: a Tool for Rapid Semantic Annotation of Web Service Descriptions” Proc. 3nd International Conference on Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics (WIMS’ 13), ACM, pp. 12:1-12:9, 2013.
- Ziaka, Z. “Hydrogen, (poly)-propylene cogeneration utilizing alternative energy via smart membrane technologies” IET Conference Publications, 2010 (572 CP),
- Ziaka, Z., S. Vasileiadis and M. Tsimpa “Biogas to syngas renewable process for combined efficient power generation” IET Conference Publications, 2010 (572 CP)
Edited volume details
Edited volume details (until Nov. 2013)
- Grammenos C. Th., T. Dergiades and G. Mazis (2013). Evidence on the Pricing of the Syndicated Loans for the Global Port Industry, Accepted for publication in a collective volume related to the global port industry. (forthcoming)